Let's Get Crafty

Pumpkin Pie Eggnog Cold Process Soap

Warning!!!!!  This is a first attempt and hasn’t had a chance to sit for a month to harden/neutralize so attempt at your own risk!

I’ve been dying to try a pumpkin/eggnog soap since my first experience with melt and pour.  After I read that you aren’t supposed to add fresh ingredients to melt and pour, I decided to attempt cold process.  So far a friend and I have made two batches of cold process and I’ve made another two (well the one in the kitchen under cover is sort of sketchy!) by myself then this one today.

I knew working with milk products was different than water (or beer in our second batch), so I watched a three part series on YouTube on “How to Make Goat Milk Soap (and have it stay creamy white)” and got the courage to make the eggnog soap I’ve always wanted to.

Saturdays are my shopping day and the “take Blake and his friends out to eat” day.   At Dillon’s, I found some Halloween Eggnog.


I figured the orange coloring in it would only help my soap and to be quite honest, I’ve never tried a sip of eggnog so I guess I’ll have to try it later on today!

Using the SoapCalc Lye Calculator, I figured out a combination that could work for the oils I had at home.  I didn’t want to have to drive another 45 miles to Manhattan to buy more!

I decided on:

20 ounces of Coconut Oil, 76 degree

20 ounces of Corn Oil

20 ounces of Lard, Pig Tallow Manteca (I use this for the Snow Cap Lard that I buy)

When you print off your recipe, it tells you what ranges your soap falls in to for hardness, cleansing, etc.  I try to stay somewhere in all their suggested ranges.  Looks like I’m one point over on cleansing, but I’m not going to sweat over that.  It also tells you your lye to water ratio and how much your soap will weigh.  I try to stay around five pounds for the molds my wonderful father made me:)

Your eggnog needs to be frozen so that you can keep the temperature down and your milk/eggnog won’t curdle.


I weighed my eggnog out before putting it in the freezer.  I froze it in the measuring cup I wanted to use, then after measuring my lye, I added just a small amount to the frozen eggnog that I had tried to fluff up a little so that they could mix.  I also have the measuring cup sitting in a bowl of ice and water in my sink so that it keeps the temperature down.  You’ll want to keep the temperature under 80 degrees if at all possible.


It might take an hour or more, but add your lye SLOWLY so that your don’t overheat the eggnog.  In the mean while, weighed and heated my oils on the stove then shut them off once they were melted.


With the lye/eggnog process going on and the oils  cooling, I mixed my add-in ingredients which were:

1 cup of canned pumpkin

1 tablespoon Moroccan red clay powder

1 tablespoon pumpkin pie spice

1 teaspoon ground cloves

I added the clay to give it a little deeper color than what I was seeing in my bowl and I don’t know that the pumpkin puree will add much coloring.  Pumpkin pie spice should make it smell nice and the ground cloves smell good plus they should work as a mild exfoliant.


Looks kind of gross when it’s all mixed together, but I have high hopes!


Still waiting to add all of my lye and my oils to cool, so I lined my wood mold with parchment paper.  I usually lay the parchment paper on top of the mold before I tear it off the roll to make sure it’s going to be big enough.  Then I cut the corners out so that it’s like a really fat plus (+) sign.  I push it down into the mold and duct tape it in place.  I have the mold sitting on top of a towel for the saponification process that it needs to go through.


After adding all of my lye and keeping the temperature below 80 degrees, the lye mixture is really thick because it’s already starting to turn into soap because of the fats in the eggnog.


My oil was too hot (you want the lye mixture and oils to only be about 10 degrees different in temperature), so I put it in an ice bath in the sink.


My oil’s down to a workable temperature now.


I added my eggnog/lye mixture to the oils and began blending with my hand mixer until I achieved light trace.


Then I added my bowl of spices, pumpkin and clay and stirred well.  It smells pretty good:)


I waited for it to thicken up a little before pouring it into my mold, then tried to add some swirls to the top.  (I did cheat and go back a few minutes later, uncovered it and fluffed it up a little more)


I cover my filled mold with a sheet of parchment paper then cardboard.


After that I added two towels doubled up.  The soap will have to sit at least 24 hours before un-molding and cutting, so I won’t get to see it until I get home from work tomorrow afternoon.

After cutting it, the soap will need to mature for at least four weeks to harden and neutralize.  Place your bars on brown paper for them to dry and flip them over every week or so.

If all goes well tomorrow afternoon, I’ll add a picture to this post!


Well here’s what it looks like sliced.  I’m curious since it’s lighter around the edges what it will look like in four weeks.  If I remember, I’ll post another picture then.


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s